Executive Assistant to Michael Serling - Sarah Porretta
Michael B. Serling is the founder of the law firm and has been practicing law since 1970. He has been handling asbestos-related cancer cases since 1975. He was the first attorney in Michigan to file an asbestos-related wrongful death action on behalf of the family of a victim of mesothelioma cancer. He was also the first attorney in Michigan to win a substantial jury verdict in an asbestos-related disease case. His firm now handles mesothelioma cases throughout the United States and internationally.
Mr. Serling graduated from Michigan State University in 1966 with a degree in history and a secondary education teaching degree. He taught in the city Detroit while attending law school at night. He graduated from Detroit College of Law in 1970 (now the Michigan State University College of Law).
Mr. Serling has been very passionate in his fight for the rights of asbestos disease victims. "The rights of American workers have been trampled upon. Nowhere is that more glaring than in the tragedy that has befallen the victims of asbestos-related mesothelioma and lung cancer. Each year thousands of men and women die of these dreaded diseases. These deaths could have been avoided if Asbestos manufacturers and suppliers had looked out for and protected the men and women who built our country through their hard work. It has been my mission for the past 45 years to fight for the rights of those men and women and their families victimized by the tragedy of asbestos disease and death."
He was selected to represent most school districts in the state of Michigan in a class action suit against asbestos manufacturers to help schools with the costs to remove asbestos products from their buildings. The suit was extremely successful in aiding schools in making them safer for students, teachers, custodians, and other staff members.
State Bar of Michigan, American Association for Justice, Michigan Association for Justice, Oakland County and American Bar Associations, Anti-Defamation League Board, Chair, Advisory Board for the MSU Serling Institute for Jewish Studies and Modern Israel, Wayne County Circuit Court Steering Committee for Asbestos Litigation, Trustee, Beaumont Health Foundation, Member of Detroit Sympathy Orchestra Governing Members Cultural Assessment Task Force.
- Mesothelioma and Lung Cancer Wrongful Death Caused by Asbestos Exposure
- Products Liability
- Personal Injury – auto, motorcycle and truck accidents; on the job injuries and death
- Property Damage
- Toxic Tort Litigation
- Environmental Law – Roundup weed killer, contaminated water and air
- Defective Drugs and Medical Devices
- Sexual Abuse
- Litigation against Credit Unions and Banks for wrongful Overdraft charges and other unfair conduct
- "Asbestos and the Law," Michigan Bar Journal" Asbestos Litigation in Michigan: The Case for Schools," Michigan School Board Journal" Asbestos Litigation: A Ten-Year Perspective," Laches (Oakland County Bar Journal)
- "Asbestos Toxic Tort Litigation," Laches (Oakland County Bar Journal)
- "Asbestos Litigation: Toward Toxic Tort Liability," Michigan Trial Lawyers Association Report
- "Asbestos Disease Litigation - The American Experience," Preservation of Our World in the Wake of Change – Jerusalem Israel Conference
- “Asbestos Litigation in Michigan” - Lawyers weekly Newspaper
- “Asbestos Litigation in Michigan” - Building Trades Newspaper
- “Update on Asbestos Litigation” – Local 58 Electrician Retirees bulletin
- Detroit Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, "The Asbestos Dilemma"
- Michigan Board of School Administrators Seminar, "Asbestos in the Schools”
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, "Toxic Torts" Multiple Seminars for Michigan Building Trades
- Seminar for Michigan Asbestos Insulation Unions at Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak, MI
- Law and Environment - Michigan State University, Law College and College of Agricultural and Natural Resources
- Medical and Legal issues related to asbestos exposure and diseases – University of Michigan medical school.
- Michigan Bar Association 50 years of service
- Michigan Holocaust Memorial Center honoree
- Michigan State University Philanthropist Award
- Michigan State University Distinguished Alumni Award